On August 7, 2023, something remarkable unfolded in Nogales, Arizona, and Nogales, Sonora. Kal Mannis from the Arizona Science Center and Joseph "Sepp" Sprietsma from the Center for the Future of Arizona, along with Stephanie Bermudez from Startup Unidos, embarked on an ambitious mission. Their goal? A whirlwind tour packed into just three hours to uncover the world of tech, jobs, and STEM in Ambos Nogales.
Imagine this: Stephanie Bermudez, a binational local, guiding this trio through a rapid exploration of both sides of Nogales. They managed to fit in a little of everything—real burritos, plus, art, tech, jobs, and the thrilling world of STEM—into an action-packed tour. Stephanie, with her deep-rooted connections, served as the perfect guide, revealing the intricacies of tech, employment prospects, and career growth in both Nogales regions. Despite the international border, each city's distinct vibe was showcased with finesse.
Joseph "Sepp" Sprietsma from the Center for the Future of Arizona at Israel Gutierrez Art shop located in Nogales, Sonora
Industries propelling Nogales' growth took center stage during this journey. The tour shed light on the driving forces behind both cities, illuminating the collaboration that sets the stage for success. But that's not all—they also took time to acknowledge the universities on both sides of the border that are molding the future stars of STEM.
Throughout the tour, the spotlight remained on tech and innovation. Conversations flowed around Nogales' evolving tech landscape and its transformative impact on STEM and beyond. They honed in on tech's role as a bridge, fostering connections between the two cities and sparking exciting collaborations.
This adventure showcased the immense potential of Nogales, Arizona, and Nogales, Sonora, as a united force. With a focus on tech, innovation, and the fuel of STEM, these border cities are gearing up for something big. The tour offered a tantalizing glimpse into the boundless possibilities that emerge when teamwork, vision, and STEM intersect.
Here are some strategies that can elevate these cities' collaboration and potential:
1. Collaborative Research and Innovation: By pooling resources and expertise across borders, collaborative efforts in research and innovation can lead to groundbreaking solutions. Partnerships between research centers, academic institutions, and industries can address complex challenges across various fields.
2. STEM Education and Workforce Development: Joint educational programs and initiatives can nurture local talent by providing mentorship, exchange opportunities, and practical workshops. Equipped with STEM skills, these individuals can contribute to a skilled workforce ready for the demands of the future job market.
3. Entrepreneurship and Startups: Cross-border cities provide a unique environment for STEM startups to thrive. By leveraging the strengths of both sides, such as diverse markets and resources, incubators, accelerators, and networking events can fuel the growth of innovative startups.
4. Cross-Border STEM Events and Competitions: Organizing events, hackathons, and competitions that transcend borders can foster collaboration and skill development. Bringing together students, professionals, and enthusiasts from both Nogales regions can cultivate a vibrant and interconnected STEM community.
5. Green Technology and Sustainability: Collaboration in green technology can address environmental challenges by developing sustainable practices and renewable energy solutions. Together, these cities can make a positive impact on both the local environment and global sustainability efforts.
6. Cultural Exchange and Diversity in STEM: Celebrating cultural diversity can enhance innovation in STEM fields. Initiatives such as cultural exchange programs, seminars, and conferences can inspire individuals from diverse backgrounds to pursue STEM careers.
7. Infrastructure and Connectivity: Investments in technological infrastructure and digital connectivity are vital for seamless cross-border STEM collaboration. High-speed internet access, data-sharing platforms, and communication tools can facilitate effective teamwork.
8. Global Perspectives in STEM: Collaboration across borders introduces global perspectives to STEM initiatives. By uniting efforts, Nogales, Arizona, and Nogales, Sonora, can contribute to addressing worldwide challenges like climate change and technological advancements.
In summary, Nogales, Arizona, and Nogales, Sonora, possess a unique opportunity to create a synergy that harnesses the power of STEM for regional growth and global influence. Through collaboration, innovation, and education, these cities can unlock their full potential, shaping the trajectory of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Israel Gutierrez, original art piece purchased at El Triangulo in Nogales, Sonora.
Stephanie is shown at her driveway in Tucson proud to support regional small business and adorn her home.